Cylance

A new Cylance experience through customer research

The background

Cylance Smart Antivirus is a lightweight antivirus solution from Cylance Inc, powered by artificial intelligence and recently acquired by Blackberry.

As an emerging B2C brand with a large B2B heritage, going head-to-head with established antivirus brands was too costly in terms of cost per acquisition, meaning a strategy of acquiring high quality but low volume traffic to the website was prioritised. Acquisition data via Facebook and Google told a story about audiences but struggled to explain why they weren’t converting.

  • High quality but low volume traffic to website.
  • Struggling to identify through analytics who was visiting and why they weren’t converting.
  • The website was trying to convert every audience type at once, and struggling to convert any of them as a result.
The ambition

The aims were broad but put simply: to guide the development of the on-site storyline to better communicate product benefits and tailor these to specific core audiences. To achieve this goal we had to define who Cylance’s customers were, what they wanted, their motivations and anxieties, then develop creative and content to engage these users.

  • Increase AOV.
  • Increase paid media CR/EPC (earnings per click).
  • Increase engagement.
Our approach
Research

Cylance wanted to move away from a site aimed at 'people with computers' and tailor their content to core audiences, crafting content that would resonate more readily with these audiences.

We used qualitative analytics to discover path to conversion and user interaction behaviour to discover what audiences were doing. Then we utilised remote usability, customer surveys and interviews to discover more about what our audiences were thinking.

We aligned behavioural and attitudinal insights around two specific audience profiles, adding emotional motivation and understanding of customer objections to create highly actionable core values for each persona.

We then built these core values into a limbic map to further understand what made our audience tick.

Creative

A bold site refresh was planned, tailored to these core audiences. The challenge was also to inform this audience about the complex product in a simple way to drive and increase conversions.

To do this we crafted user stories and problem statements to better understand how to articulate core values.

We created numerous iterative lo-fi MVP prototypes and ran remote usability testing with core audiences to gauge effectiveness of design, UX and messaging.

We crafted a variety of messages to find those which resonated most with each audience whilst also providing clearer information about the complex product offering and fostering a connection with the brand.

The results

By focusing on acquiring audiences which fit our real-world profiles - with tailored ad content and messaging - we saw significant uplifts across all acquisition KPIs. By focusing on data and research-driven insights to understand all we could about our new core audiences from the get-go, we were able to craft a more efficient sales funnel which met customer expectations across every touchpoint.

  • 19% increase in conversion rate.
  • 28% increase in engagement.
  • 11% decrease in bounce rate.
  • 7% uplift in average order value.
  • 21% increase in paid media earnings per click.